Skip to main content

TripTych by Karin Slaughter


I'm a big Karin Slaughter fan. After reading Undone and the last two Slaughter books outside of the Grant county series that I hadn't read yet, it's like I'm rediscovering why I'm a Slaughter fan in the first place. Now that I've read all of her books (a review for Fractured is forthcoming), I am giddy with anticipation for the next novel coming out in 2010 and desperate for information on what it's about. I'd settle for knowing whether or not it'll feature both Dr. Sara Linton and GBI agents Will Trent and Faith Mitchell like her current release does.

I remember when TripTych first came out; I started to read it and then stopped after the first couple chapters. Something about the character of Michael Ormewood just turned me off. A couple years later after I finished reading Undone and decided I had to read Slaughter's other novels that featured Trent, I gave TripTych another try, and I am so glad I did. In a way it is different from her other novels in that its parts focus on the story from different character perspectives. Through my recent experiences with Slaughter's books, I've realized that she has a penchant for throwing wicked twists at the reader, and the twists she throws into this story will make your jaw drop.

In 1985 the daughter of an Atlanta assistant district attorney is brutally raped and beaten to death; in short order her murderer is caught and brought to justice. This portion of the story is related through newspaper clippings. Cut to 2006 when teenage girls are being raped and beaten in a similar manner; Georgia Bureau of Investigation agent Will Trent is tracking these crimes. Then an Atlanta prostitute is murdered and mutilated in a manner that matches previous rapes in other parts of Georgia; the pattern of crime matches the others in all ways except victim profile. Atlanta Police homicide detective Michael Ormewood catches the murder of the prostitute and the unique method of her mutilation catches the attention of agent Will Trent, who joins the investigation in an advisory role. The investigation is barely hours old before the serial rapist/murderer strikes again, this time in Ormewood's backyard. How do the murders connect to the rapes that took place in other parts of Georgia? How do the current crimes connect to the murder from 1985?

Slaughter crafts another intricate mystery that has several threads that in the end are all tied together in a messy, little knot. She produces yet another twisty, turny, unputdownable page turner of a novel. Your heart will pound when the murderer is revealed early on and then your fear will be whether or not Trent and Ormewood put the pieces together in time to prevent another life from being taken and to bring the murderer to justice.

If you haven't already read this book, I highly recommend you do. If you love a suspense filled mystery with vivid characterization, you will love this book. It is available on shelf at Matthews Public Library; it is also available upon request from Annville Free Library, Palmyra Public Library and Richland Community Library.

--Reviewed by Ms. Angie

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

In The Woods by Tana French

"What I warn you to remember is that I am a detective. Our relationship with the truth is fundamental, but cracked, refracting confusingly like fragmented glass. It is the core of our careers, the endgame of every move we make, and we pursue it with strategies painstakingly constructed of lies ... and every variation on deception. The truth is the most desirable woman in the world and we are the most jealous lovers, reflexively denying anyone else the slightest glimpse of her. We betray her routinely ... This is my job ... What I am telling you, before you begin my story, is this--two things: I crave truth. And I lie." opening lines of In The Woods chapter 1, pages 3-4 In The Woods by Tana French, an Irish writer, is an extremely well-written and well-crafted mystery novel. The downside is that this is French's debut novel, and her website (located at http://www.tanafrench.com/ ) does not off...

Broken by Karin Slaughter

Before I begin the formal review there are a few things I need to get off my chest in the wake of finishing this book; I'll do so without giving away too many (or any) spoilers. The OUTRAGE!: the identity of Detective Lena Adams' new beau; the low depths to which Grant County's interim chief has sunk and brought the police force down with him; agent Will Trent's wife, Angie's, sixth sense/nasty habit of reappearing in his life just when he's slipping away from her. Thank God for small miracles though because while Angie was certainly referred to during the book, the broad didn't make an appearance. One sign that I've become way too invested in these characters is that I'd like to employ John Connolly's odd pair of assassins, Louis and Angel, to contract out a hit on Angie; do you think Karin Slaughter and John Connolly could work out a special cross over? Hallelujah: Dr. Sara Linton and agent Will Trent are both back. There is no hallelujah fo...

Premonitions by Jude Watson

Today we have a guest reviewer contributing to "A Series of (Un)Fortunate Reviews" and her name is Samantha; she's been volunteering here at the library for the past few weeks. She is reviewing Premonitions by Jude Watson. This book is incredible. It is about a young girl named Gracie whose mother has recently died. After her mother dies, Gracie starts having premonitions. I think that this is a good book because it goes through Gracie’s mind and shows her feelings and expressions about her mother’s death. This book has many fantastic adventures. If you would like to read this book you can request it from Annville Free Library or Lebanon Community Library. -Reviewer Samantha