Skip to main content

Anzac Girls

I'm not sure how I ran across this mini-series.  I think I was looking at something on Amazon, and this was one of the recommended titles or something like that.  I thought it would be something a little different from the usual English period dramas that I watch.  With the centennial of the beginning of the first World War, there are several mini series and such that have been released--most are Australian or British productions.  Hollywood tends to focus more on World War II (there are always World War II movies coming out every year... hardly any about World War I with the recent exception of Spielberg's War Horse).  There is also the upcoming mini-series The Crimson Field which will air this summer on PBS about a British nurse (I think) serving in a military hospital in France during World War I.  It's based on a true story.  As it happens Anzac Girls is also based on a true story originally told by Peter Rees in his book, The Other ANZACS.  I haven't read the book, and it wasn't until I watched the mini-series that I realized it was adapted from a book.

Set first in Cairo, Egypt, and Lemnos Island, Greece, before shifting to the European theater, this six part mini-series follows a unit of nurses serving with the Australian Army during World War I.  The series focuses on five nurses as they serve in sometimes harsh conditions while tending to the wounded and ill soldiers under their care in the sometimes hastily set up, temporary hospitals.  In addition to tending to their patients and contending with being in a war zone far from home, the nurses must also struggle to prove that women do have a place in the Army.  We see the nurses' dedication to their work, their sense of duty to their country, their compassion for the patients under their care, and the care and friendship they have for one another.  The mini-series covers a lot of ground in just six episodes: it opens about a year into the war in 1915 and concludes three years later in 1918 with the end of the war.  This means that many months are covered in each episode and the time line can jump ahead months at a time every episode which can be very confusing.

Some thoughts I have [SPOILERS]:

--Sister Ross King has three suitors and almost as many proposals by the end of the first episode.  One of which comes from a soldier as she's tending his wounds in the hospital.  Her response is "what about my [nursing] work?!"  Girl, just say, 'dude, I'm just not that into you' (because you aren't!) or whatever the 1915 version of that is.

--Later Sister Ross King is all in for Lt. Moffitt, but I'm holding out hope that she ends up with Major Leopold by series end.  Something about the dialog during his second proposal reminds me of Mr. Darcy (from Pride and Prejudice), which I take as a sign that I may have finally watched one too many British period dramas, but I DON'T CARE.

--All Sister Cooke does is follow her wounded husband from hospital to hospital and back to Australia and then back again to war.  I'm over these shenanigans by about episode three, but I guess I shouldn't be surprised BECAUSE THAT'S WHY SHE JOINED UP IN THE FIRST PLACE.  Then she gets all bent out of shape when he expects her to take leave on a whim's notice to meet his parents in London with him.  Girl, you made your bed, now lie in it--this is what you've been doing all war long, so don't be surprised when he's come to expect it.

--Sad to see Sister Haynes go back to Australia with her husband, even though it is technically a happy ending for them because he can no longer serve in the Army due to injuries.  She was my favorite nurse, and I would totally watch the Sister Haynes Dooley show.

If you're a fan of war movies or mini-series, I recommend you try out this one.  Despite its shortcomings, it shares the stories of the capable women who served, and we don't often hear these stories.  Also if you're a die-hard fan of British period dramas, you may also like this mini-series.

--Reviewed by Ms. Angie

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How To Be A Heroine: Or What I've Learned From Reading Too Much by Samantha Ellis

I feel as if I could write a book subtitled "What I've Learned From Reading Too Much" except all my lessons would be culled from Greek mythology, the Babysitters' Club, the lives of British queens, crime mysteries, suspense thrillers and celebrity and entertainment gossip.  I first ran across How To Be A Heroine by Samantha Ellis in an ad in BookPage.  The title sounded intriguing and once I looked it up on Amazon, I was in for reading it.  It reminds me of the literacy autobiography writing assignment that I had in one of my English composition classes in college--except this is the literacy autobiography on steroids. The premise of this book is that the author revisits the seminal texts that she read in her youth by examining the lessons and impressions of the novels that she had upon her first readings when she was younger.  Ellis has then re-read the novels as an adult specifically for the writing of her own book to see if the novels hold up to her original i

Heat Lightning by John Sandford

I'd previously read John Sandford's first Virgil Flowers novel, Dark of the Moon , a few years back and found it to be a quick, well written read.  Recently I discovered he has since written three more Flowers titles and decided to start with the second title and read through to the fourth and most recent one.   Heat Lightning is the second Flowers installment.  The darkness of the crimes committed that must be solved in the novel are leavened by the lighter presentation of Flowers and the story.  It works well together--a dark crime doesn't always need dark prose to back it up. Virgil Flowers is Lucas Davenport's go to man in the Minnesota Bureau of Criminal Apprehension when there's a sensitive, tough or otherwise puzzling case to solve.  Flowers has a high clearance rate and can often turn around a case in about a week.  This  particular case is especially perplexing with quite a few red herrings thrown into the mix to throw everyone--Flowers and the reader in

The Whisperers by John Connolly

If there was one thing Jimmy didn't care for, it was competition, ... There were some exceptions to that rule: he was rumored to have a sweet deal with the Mexicans, but he wasn't about to try to reason with the Dominicans, or the Columbians, or the bikers, or even the Mohawks. If they wanted to avail themselves of his services, as they sometimes did, that was fine, but if Jimmy Jewel started questioning their right to move product he and Earle would end up tied to chairs in the [bar] with pieces of themselves scattered by their feet, assuming their feet weren't among the scattered pieces, while the bar burned down around their ears, assuming they still had ears. from page 86 The Whisperers is John Connolly's newest Charlie Parker installment in which some beloved characters reappear and in which previous characters from another Parker installment reappear to shed further light on the big baddie that may or may not be coming for Parker in the future. This newest inst