Skip to main content

Dracula by Bram Stoker

Miss Shayne reviews Dracula by Bram Stoker this week.  In fact, both Ms. Angie and Miss Shayne have read this book for a class for college.  You hear so much about vampires in the media and through TV shows and movies that you feel like you already know Stoker's Dracula story before you've even read it.  When Ms. Angie read Dracula, she found it was not at all what she was expecting.  Read on to find out what Miss Shayne thought about the novel when she read it!

Before reading this novel, I thought I knew exactly what was going to happen in this story. I didn’t. Hollywood gets it all wrong! So, forget everything you thought you knew about Dracula! Like always, the book is nothing like the movies.

After spending a few days in Count Dracula’s castle on a business trip, Jonathan Harker notices Dracula is up to something. Harker is being held against his will and strange things keep happening both inside the castle and out. He eventually escapes the castle and flees back home, where he and his gang devise a plan to take down the Count once they discover he is a danger to all of Europe. Chaos ensues, the gang closes in, and the Count keeps slipping through their fingers.

This story is told from several points of view. Each character has something to contribute to the story, and it all gets documented. This is helpful because it communicates the thoughts and ideas that each character has. Seeing one scene from different perspectives makes it easier to draw conclusions both about the events transpiring and the individual characters’ credibility. I haven’t read many stories that do this.

Though I found that aspect of this book interesting, it still dragged on and on. In addition to being too time-consuming, this book contained many boring details that could have been cut from the story to make it better. I found the female characters unbearable as well. There were also many continuity issues that were pointed out in my footnotes. I think that is sloppy writing, and Stoker should have edited his work better. Admittedly, I probably didn’t enjoy this book because I had to read it for a college class. (I was forced to read about half of it over my spring break, which I did NOT appreciate.)

 I had always wanted to read Dracula, but I may have enjoyed it more if I didn’t have to write two essays on it. I constantly had to take notes and that contributed to my hatred of this book. I may pick this book up again one day and enjoy it, but being the typical lazy college student that I am, I am not going to recommend this book.



--Reviewed by Miss Shayne

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How To Be A Heroine: Or What I've Learned From Reading Too Much by Samantha Ellis

I feel as if I could write a book subtitled "What I've Learned From Reading Too Much" except all my lessons would be culled from Greek mythology, the Babysitters' Club, the lives of British queens, crime mysteries, suspense thrillers and celebrity and entertainment gossip.  I first ran across How To Be A Heroine by Samantha Ellis in an ad in BookPage.  The title sounded intriguing and once I looked it up on Amazon, I was in for reading it.  It reminds me of the literacy autobiography writing assignment that I had in one of my English composition classes in college--except this is the literacy autobiography on steroids. The premise of this book is that the author revisits the seminal texts that she read in her youth by examining the lessons and impressions of the novels that she had upon her first readings when she was younger.  Ellis has then re-read the novels as an adult specifically for the writing of her own book to see if the novels hold up to her original i

Heat Lightning by John Sandford

I'd previously read John Sandford's first Virgil Flowers novel, Dark of the Moon , a few years back and found it to be a quick, well written read.  Recently I discovered he has since written three more Flowers titles and decided to start with the second title and read through to the fourth and most recent one.   Heat Lightning is the second Flowers installment.  The darkness of the crimes committed that must be solved in the novel are leavened by the lighter presentation of Flowers and the story.  It works well together--a dark crime doesn't always need dark prose to back it up. Virgil Flowers is Lucas Davenport's go to man in the Minnesota Bureau of Criminal Apprehension when there's a sensitive, tough or otherwise puzzling case to solve.  Flowers has a high clearance rate and can often turn around a case in about a week.  This  particular case is especially perplexing with quite a few red herrings thrown into the mix to throw everyone--Flowers and the reader in

The Whisperers by John Connolly

If there was one thing Jimmy didn't care for, it was competition, ... There were some exceptions to that rule: he was rumored to have a sweet deal with the Mexicans, but he wasn't about to try to reason with the Dominicans, or the Columbians, or the bikers, or even the Mohawks. If they wanted to avail themselves of his services, as they sometimes did, that was fine, but if Jimmy Jewel started questioning their right to move product he and Earle would end up tied to chairs in the [bar] with pieces of themselves scattered by their feet, assuming their feet weren't among the scattered pieces, while the bar burned down around their ears, assuming they still had ears. from page 86 The Whisperers is John Connolly's newest Charlie Parker installment in which some beloved characters reappear and in which previous characters from another Parker installment reappear to shed further light on the big baddie that may or may not be coming for Parker in the future. This newest inst