Skip to main content

Graceling by Kristen Cashore

Miss Shayne returns with a new book review.  Read on to find out what she's reading!

This book has been on my bookshelf at home since summer. I have a habit of collecting books with every intention of reading them, only to discover I don’t have enough time to read my ever-growing library. I was determined to pick something out and read it over my winter break. I decided on Graceling by Kristen Cashore mostly because I thought it wasn’t part of a series. As it turns out, it’s a trilogy. So I have my work cut out for me.

In this book, some people have incredible abilities called graces. These graces range from mind reading to predicting weather patterns to baking good bread. A person could be graced with anything—even if it’s useless. In most countries, the graced usually strike fear into the hearts of people who are not graced. In Katsa’s case, this is especially true. She has the ability to fight really well and this has resulted in her harming several people and killing one.

Katsa has been living under her uncle’s thumb her whole life. He is the King, and he has realized that Katsa’s ability to harm people could benefit him, so she often gets sent off to do his bidding. She hates doing this but doesn’t know how she can escape from him when everyone thinks she is a heartless monster. However, without the King knowing, Katsa has created an organization that rescues people and helps ease corruption across the land. Once Katsa realizes that a seemingly fair King from a nearby country might not be as good as she initially thought, she sets out to discover the truth.

This was a fairly entertaining book. It is action-packed, led by a heroine, and the main conflict has to do with a corrupt government. This is the perfect recipe for a book I would enjoy. Katsa is an amazing heroine who will stop at nothing to carry out a mission she has been tasked with. She almost seems superhuman sometimes (she kills a wildcat with her bare hands!).

Though there are some good characters in this book, I’m not completely invested in them. They sometimes seem one-dimensional because some of them start to sound the same. For instance, the two main characters are basically the same person; they even have the same thought and speech patterns on several occasions. Every time I noticed them using “Well. And…” I cringed a little. To me, it’s an awkward line that stands out. And it happened. All. The. Time.

There are two more books in this series, but they don’t star Katsa. This is a little disappointing because I would have loved to hear about what happened after this book from her perspective. The second book in this series stars a different girl in a different country, and the third book stars a companion of Katsa’s eight years after Graceling. I’m still going to give these two a read just to check this series off my list, but I usually like stories that go from point A to point B, not stories that switch between characters, countries, and conflicts. I hope this turns out to be more interesting than aggravating.


--Reviewed by Miss Shayne

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How To Be A Heroine: Or What I've Learned From Reading Too Much by Samantha Ellis

I feel as if I could write a book subtitled "What I've Learned From Reading Too Much" except all my lessons would be culled from Greek mythology, the Babysitters' Club, the lives of British queens, crime mysteries, suspense thrillers and celebrity and entertainment gossip.  I first ran across How To Be A Heroine by Samantha Ellis in an ad in BookPage.  The title sounded intriguing and once I looked it up on Amazon, I was in for reading it.  It reminds me of the literacy autobiography writing assignment that I had in one of my English composition classes in college--except this is the literacy autobiography on steroids. The premise of this book is that the author revisits the seminal texts that she read in her youth by examining the lessons and impressions of the novels that she had upon her first readings when she was younger.  Ellis has then re-read the novels as an adult specifically for the writing of her own book to see if the novels hold up to her original i

Heat Lightning by John Sandford

I'd previously read John Sandford's first Virgil Flowers novel, Dark of the Moon , a few years back and found it to be a quick, well written read.  Recently I discovered he has since written three more Flowers titles and decided to start with the second title and read through to the fourth and most recent one.   Heat Lightning is the second Flowers installment.  The darkness of the crimes committed that must be solved in the novel are leavened by the lighter presentation of Flowers and the story.  It works well together--a dark crime doesn't always need dark prose to back it up. Virgil Flowers is Lucas Davenport's go to man in the Minnesota Bureau of Criminal Apprehension when there's a sensitive, tough or otherwise puzzling case to solve.  Flowers has a high clearance rate and can often turn around a case in about a week.  This  particular case is especially perplexing with quite a few red herrings thrown into the mix to throw everyone--Flowers and the reader in

The Whisperers by John Connolly

If there was one thing Jimmy didn't care for, it was competition, ... There were some exceptions to that rule: he was rumored to have a sweet deal with the Mexicans, but he wasn't about to try to reason with the Dominicans, or the Columbians, or the bikers, or even the Mohawks. If they wanted to avail themselves of his services, as they sometimes did, that was fine, but if Jimmy Jewel started questioning their right to move product he and Earle would end up tied to chairs in the [bar] with pieces of themselves scattered by their feet, assuming their feet weren't among the scattered pieces, while the bar burned down around their ears, assuming they still had ears. from page 86 The Whisperers is John Connolly's newest Charlie Parker installment in which some beloved characters reappear and in which previous characters from another Parker installment reappear to shed further light on the big baddie that may or may not be coming for Parker in the future. This newest inst