Skip to main content

The Crimson Field (DVD)

The Crimson Field is a British mini-series that aired on PBS recently.  The BBC commissioned the mini-series as part of its special programming in observance of the centenary of World War I.  Apparently the series did not receive good reviews in the British press.  And I guess it didn't get very good ratings either because it's not coming back for another season.  I've heard that some people have started a petition to get the BBC to bring it back, but I don't think that's going to happen.

I think I mentioned this program or other programs set during World War I in my review of ANZAC Girls.  At first I wasn't going to review The Crimson Field because I just reviewed another mini-series and also TCF is six episodes long.  However, after viewing the first episode, I had opinions, and I need to vent about some characters.  So now I'm reviewing it.  I'll be splitting it into three more posts, each of which will cover two episodes.

While ANZAC Girls focused on nurses from Australia and New Zealand who served in field hospitals in Egypt, Lemnos Island, and France during World War I, TCF tells the story of British nurses serving in a field hospital in France during the same war.  These particular nurses are at a busy field hospital in France.  In ANZAC Girls there was snobbery from British nurses towards their Australian counterparts.  In TCF there's snobbery from British Army nurses towards British civilian volunteer nurses.  Why are British nurses so snobby?  I don't like it.

Overall I enjoyed the mini-series.  I would have enjoyed it more if it had been more focused on its main ensemble rather than giving so much screen time to the guest actors that portrayed each episode's injured soldiers.  If they had another season, maybe they could fix this.  You can look for reviews of The Crimson Field over the next few weeks!


--Reviewed by Ms. Angie


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

In The Woods by Tana French

"What I warn you to remember is that I am a detective. Our relationship with the truth is fundamental, but cracked, refracting confusingly like fragmented glass. It is the core of our careers, the endgame of every move we make, and we pursue it with strategies painstakingly constructed of lies ... and every variation on deception. The truth is the most desirable woman in the world and we are the most jealous lovers, reflexively denying anyone else the slightest glimpse of her. We betray her routinely ... This is my job ... What I am telling you, before you begin my story, is this--two things: I crave truth. And I lie." opening lines of In The Woods chapter 1, pages 3-4 In The Woods by Tana French, an Irish writer, is an extremely well-written and well-crafted mystery novel. The downside is that this is French's debut novel, and her website (located at http://www.tanafrench.com/ ) does not off...

Broken by Karin Slaughter

Before I begin the formal review there are a few things I need to get off my chest in the wake of finishing this book; I'll do so without giving away too many (or any) spoilers. The OUTRAGE!: the identity of Detective Lena Adams' new beau; the low depths to which Grant County's interim chief has sunk and brought the police force down with him; agent Will Trent's wife, Angie's, sixth sense/nasty habit of reappearing in his life just when he's slipping away from her. Thank God for small miracles though because while Angie was certainly referred to during the book, the broad didn't make an appearance. One sign that I've become way too invested in these characters is that I'd like to employ John Connolly's odd pair of assassins, Louis and Angel, to contract out a hit on Angie; do you think Karin Slaughter and John Connolly could work out a special cross over? Hallelujah: Dr. Sara Linton and agent Will Trent are both back. There is no hallelujah fo...

Premonitions by Jude Watson

Today we have a guest reviewer contributing to "A Series of (Un)Fortunate Reviews" and her name is Samantha; she's been volunteering here at the library for the past few weeks. She is reviewing Premonitions by Jude Watson. This book is incredible. It is about a young girl named Gracie whose mother has recently died. After her mother dies, Gracie starts having premonitions. I think that this is a good book because it goes through Gracie’s mind and shows her feelings and expressions about her mother’s death. This book has many fantastic adventures. If you would like to read this book you can request it from Annville Free Library or Lebanon Community Library. -Reviewer Samantha